Burgers may also be grilled on a charcoal or gas grill.
- 16 ounces ground beef or 16 ounces ground chuck
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 ounces mushrooms, sliced (button or assorted)
- 3/4 cup sweet marsala wine
- 1/2 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese or 4 ounces provolone cheese
- 4 Kaiser rolls
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Shape the ground beef into 4 oblong patties, about 4 inches long each. Drizzle the patties with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; repeat on the opposite sides. Cut the french bread into pieces a little shorter than each of the patties and set aside.
- Brown the patties in the skillet on both sides until the burgers are medium rare. Transfer the burgers to a plate and keep warm; leave the juices in the pan.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and 1/2 tablespoon of oil in the skillet. Add the shallot and garlic. Saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add another 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil, if necessary, then add the mushrooms and saute until tender and the juices evaporate, about 3 minutes. Season with salt. Add the Marsala. Simmer until the Marsala reduces by half, about 2 minutes. Add the broth and the rosemary sprig. Simmer until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Return the burgers to the skillet. Cook burgers until they are medium, turning to coat, about 1 minute. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, to taste. Add 1 oz of cheese to the top of each burger and cover the pan to allow the cheese to melt, about 2 minutes.
- When the cheese has melted, remove the burgers from the pan and place on the Kaiser rolls Top the burgers with Marsala sauce. Serve hot.