Coffee-Rubbed Cheeseburgers with Barbecue Sauce
- Coffee rub:
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground coffee
- 2 teaspoons (packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 slices applewood-smoked bacon
- 1 pound ground chuck (preferably grass-fed)
- 1 pound ground sirloin (preferably grass-fed)
- 8 slices smoked provolone or smoked Gouda cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 8 potato-bread hamburger
- 8 slices red onion
- 8 slices tomato
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 chipotle chile from canned chipotle chiles in adobo,* minced with seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- For coffee rub:
- Mix all ingredients in small bowl. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 week ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
- Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Break in half. Gently mix chuck and sirloin in large bowl. Form meat into 8 patties, each 3 1/2 to 4 inches in diameter and 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick. Using thumb, make slight indentation in center of each burger. DO AHEAD: Burgers and bacon can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover separately and chill.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; stir 30 seconds. Stir in ketchup and all remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until reduced to 1 1/3 cups, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. do ahead Can be made 1 week ahead. Cool slightly, cover, and chill.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon coffee rub on top side of each burger. Place burgers, rub side down, on grill rack. Grill until slightly charred, about 4 minutes; turn.
- Place 2 bacon slice halves atop each burger. Cook 3 minutes.
- Top each with 1 cheese slice. Cover and cook until cheese melts, about 1 minute longer. Place burgers atop bottom halves of buns. Top with onion slices and tomato slices. Spoon dollop of Texas Barbecue Sauce over. Cover with bun tops and serve, passing additional sauce alongside.