The Monte Christo sandwich is popular for a reason…it’s delicious. Forget about the fact that it has tons of calories and a significant amount to fat. you deserve to treat yourself at least one in a while.
Classic Monte Christo Sandwich
Recipe Type: Sandwich
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices white sandwich bread
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 ounces thinly sliced ham
- 3 ounces thinly sliced roasted turkey breast
- 3 ounces thinly sliced Emmentaler cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick)
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Place the egg and milk in a wide, shallow plate and season with salt and pepper. Whisk until the egg is broken up and evenly incorporated; set aside.
- Place 2 slices of the bread on a work surface and spread 1 teaspoon of mustard on each. Divide the ham and turkey between the mustard-coated bread slices. Place half of the cheese on top of each pile of meat. Close the sandwiches with the remaining 2 slices of bread. Press gently on the tops of the sandwiches to compact slightly.
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat until foaming. Using your hands, place 1 sandwich in the reserved egg mixture, flipping to coat both sides. Place the sandwich in the frying pan. Repeat with the second sandwich.
- Fry undisturbed until the bottoms of the sandwiches are golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and fry until the other side is golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Transfer to serving plates, dust with powdered sugar.