When fresh berries are in season, I love to use them to make all sorts of popsicles. Here’s a version that uses blackberries. It’s very easy to make these frozen treats. You can strain out the seeds if you like, but we love the texture they lend to the popsicles. Feel free to use any berries you have on hand. I particularly love blackberries, but strawberries would be great, also.
- 2 cups fresh blackberries, rinsed
- 21/2 cups Pinot Noir or other red wine
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 drops of LorAnn blackberry oil
- In medium saucepan, reduce wine to 1 cup. Remove from heat and cool completely
- In another sauce pan bring water to a boil add sugar and stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and cool completely
- Put blackberries in blender and blend until smooth.
- Add reduced pinot noir, simple syrup and blackberry oil and blend well
- Pour mixture into popsicle molds and place in freezer for 90 minutes
- Remove from freezer, inset popsicle sticks and freeze until firm, preferably overnight.
Notes: Simple syrup (sugar water) makes the popsicles less icy and more velvety than sugar alone. (If you don't have time to make the syrup, just add 1/3 cup undissolved sugar to the purée in step 2.) You will need 10 (4-oz.) popsicle molds and 10 popsicle sticks for this recipe.